Building Information Modeling, or BIM, is one of the most rapidly emerging technologies within the AEC (Architectural, Engineering and Construction) industry. Development of a comprehensive building model offers a multitude of advantages to the design team, construction team and to the owner of the facility following completion of construction.
BIM is the process of generating and managing building data. Three-dimensional, dynamic building modeling software is employed in the creation of the model encompassing building geometry, spatial relationships, structural components, mechanical electrical and plumbing systems and the other various elements of the building. As the design process progresses, the building model is updated and refined ending in a comprehensive model used by all parties for coordination, estimating, planning and even future maintenance.
A few advantages of Building Information Models that have lead to the rapid acceptance and increased utilization in the construction industry include:
- Improves coordination between Architects and Engineering disciplines during the design process.
- Reduces the chance for errors and potential for conflicts during construction through detailed interference checks and computer visualization.
- Reduces the information loss and assists in visualization of the facility during transitions between teams.
- Improves coordination between the Design Team and the Contractor during bidding and construction.
- Assists in the preparation of accurate construction and shop drawings, improving quality and efficiency of the documents.
- Improves coordination between Sub-Contractors during construction.
- Aids scheduling and monitoring of the project.
- Assists Owners in future maintenance and building planning providing detailed information about the building systems and components that can be retrieved at a later date.
Currently, SKA Consulting Engineers, Inc. has multiple projects, most with our state universities and health care facilities, which are utilizing BIM services.
As a multi-disciplinary consulting engineering firm, the use of BIM modeling allows our experienced team of engineers and designers from each of the different disciplines to coordinate designs and building components with increased accuracy and detail. The model also allows the Owner to visualize the building as an entire facility rather than individual components early on in the design process, helping to ensure that the end product meets or exceeds the intended use and expectations. Increased design detail and a clearer understanding of the project development result in reduced construction time, conflicts and cost.