Mast General Store
Valle Crucis, North CarolinaClose
The Mast General Store opened in 1883 and was known then as The Taylor General Store. Run by Henry Taylor, the owner ran a smaller store across the street and sought expansion of his offerings. Partly sold in 1897 to W.W. Mast, the store was known as the Taylor and Mast General Store until 1913 when the remaining business was purchased by Mast. Today, the Mast General Store is one of the oldest operating retail establishments in the country. Located in the historic district of Valle Crucis, the Mast General Store operated in the heart of a once booming economy and served as the community gathering place, post office, and medical offices for Dr. Perry – one of the first doctors in Watauga County.
As part of a major renovation effort, SKA conducted a comprehensive condition survey of the foundations and first floor framing and drainage. Engineering services included the design of repairs and modifications, including a fire protection upfit with an underground storage tank, fire pump house, and dry sprinkler system, as well as inspection of construction.